스티븐 김 코칭 이야기(8) - 나는 어떤 리더인가? 시리즈 - 서번트 리더
스티븐 김 코칭 이야기(8) - 나는 어떤 리더인가? 시리즈 - 서번트 리더
  • stevenkim
  • 승인 2019.08.21 06:00
  • 댓글 0
이 기사를 공유합니다

스티븐 김 / 헨켈 코리아 대표
스티븐 김 / 헨켈 코리아 대표

지난 칼럼에서 (1)팀에 대한 공감 정도와 (2)말과 행동의 영향에 대한 인식 정도라는 척도를 가지고 리더를 네 부류로 분류하는 프레임 워크를 소개했다.
구체적으로 논의하기 전에 모든 유형의 리더가 자신의 분야에서 기대에 미치는 능력을 발휘하고 있다는 것을 전제로 한다는 것에 동의를 구한다. 그러므로 ‘무능하지만 인간적인’ 또는 ‘실무지식 뿐만 아니라 관리능력도 부족한’ 보스는 제외하고 시작하자.

첫번째 다루어 질 리더는 각 직원의 성향 및 능력을 잘 파악하고 공감하며, 더불어 그의 언행이 미치는 영향을 정확히 인지하는 서번트 리더이다.
서번트 리더십이라는 개념은 1970년 로버트 K. 그린리프의 ‘Servant as Leader’라는 에세이에서 처음으로 소개되었다. 이 혁신적인 경영 철학을 통해 그린리프는 전통적인 피라미드 조직을 완전히 역으로 재배치시켰다.
이 새로운 질서에서는 최고경영진이 최상위에 있고 모든 직원들이 하위 조직에서 지원하는 구조가 아니라 기업의 대표가 섬기는 위치에서 직원들을 위해 기여하고 돕는 것이다.

그린리프에 따르면, 서번트 리더의 주요 관심사는 다음과 같다. “다른 사람으로부터 도움을 경험한 사람들 (즉, 직원들)이 인격적으로 성장하는가? 그리고 그 과정에서 더욱 건강해지고, 현명해지고, 자유로워지고, 자율적이 되면서, 그들 자체도 서번트로 변화될 수 있는가?”이다.

리더가 자신의 사고 방식을 바꾸고 먼저 서번트로서 역할을 담당하면, 직원과 리더 모두가 상생하는 실증적인 결과가 나타난다.  첫째, 직원의 목표 달성과 성공에 영향을 줄 수 있다. 서번트 리더가 직원의 요구를 우선시하고 먼저 충족시키면, 그들은 리더의 지원을 받고 있다는 신뢰가 생기므로 참여도가 높아지고 업무 성과가 향상된다.

 둘째, 작업 환경이 점점 생산적일 뿐만 아니라 더욱 창의적이 될 수도 있다. 서번트 리더는 용납하고 이해하기 때문에, 직원들은 실수로부터 좋은 교훈을 얻는 기회를 가지며 틀에 박힌 사고 체계에서 벗어나 더 혁신적인 아이디어를 제안할 수 있다.

그렇다면 이런 훌륭한 리더에게 어떤 문제점이 있을까? 한마디로 시간이다. 각 직원의 능력, 요구, 목표 및 잠재력을 충분한 일대일 커뮤니케이션을 통해서 파악하는 데는 많은 시간이 소요된다. 만약 경청, 공감 및 설득 등 과다한 범위로 역할을 확장하게 되면, 시간관리에 어려움을 겪게 될 뿐 아니라 직무의 주객이 전도되는 우를 범하게 될 수도 있다.

과연 이러한 시간의 부족을 어떻게 극복할 수 있을까? 방법론적으로 실용적인 대처를 선택할 수 있다. 우선 상위 10%는 일반적인 지침 만 알려주면 특별한 어려움 없이 일을 성공적으로 수행 것이므로, 그들이 high potential로 인정받았다는 것을 충분히 인지하는 정도 까지만 시간을 사용하면 된다.
그리고 중간 80%은 가장 다수의 분포일 뿐만 아니라 그들의 재능, 동기 부여 및 문제점이 매우 다양하기 때문에 선착순으로 대응하고, 마지막으로 하위 10%는 추가 지원을 통해 개선이 될 수 있는 가능성이 사실상 매우 미미하기 때문에 고려대상에서 제외할 수도 있다.

그러나 이 시간 제한에 대처하는 더 좋은 방법은 양(Quantity)보다 질(Quality)에 중요성을 두는 것이다. 가능한 많은 직원에게 도움을 주기 위해 최대의 시간을 할애하기보다는, 직급이나 책임에 관계없이 도움을 필요로 하는 단 한 명에게 라도 평생 영향을 미치는 깊은 감명을 전달하는 것이 더 중요하다.

리더가 매일 사무실 안팎에서 겸손과 인내와 관용과 같은 서번트 리더십의 본질을 구현한다면, 그린리프가 가설한 것처럼 도움을 받은 직원도 서번트 리더로 변화될 수 있다. 그리고 이러한 변화가 점차 선순환 되어 네트워크 효과를 가속하고 시간의 제한을 극복할 수도 있다.

서번트 리더는 직원들의 직무 성과를 향상시키고 업무 환경을 긍정적으로 변화시키며, 조직에 대한 결속력을 강화시킨다.
그러나 이러한 변화는 직원들에 대한 리더의 공감이 진실되고 그들을 이해하는 언행이 함께 작용하는 경우에만 가능하다.
모든 서번트 리더들에게 한가지 꼭 제안하고 싶은 것이 있다. 자신이 서번트 리더로 변하게 된 계기를 수시로 되새겨서 그 리더십의 원칙을 충실히 지키길 바란다.

(S&M미디어 자문위원 / 이메일 : stevenkim@snmnews.com)

 

WINNING OVER THE WORLD AROUND ME
Tip 8: “How do I lead?” series | Servant leader

In my last article, I introduced a framework to segment the leaders into 4 quadrants based on their (1) high or low perceived empathy towards their team and (2) high or low self-awareness of their words and actions. Before we begin, let us agree on a premise that all leaders to be discussed are competent. Therefore, a boss who is “incapable but nice” or a leader who is “inept all around” is off the table. 

Now let us kick off this series with the servant leader who identifies deeply with his team and is highly cognizant of the lasting impact of his words and actions. In 1970 Robert K. Greenleaf published an essay called "The Servant as Leader" where he first introduced the concept of servant leadership. In this groundbreaking management philosophy, he inverts the traditional pyramidal organization upside down. In this new order, rather than having the CEO at the top and the rest at the bottom working for him, a humbler leader exists to serve the people. According to Greenleaf, a key concern to a servant leader should be the following: “Do those served grow as persons…and do they, while being served, become healthier, wiser, freer, more autonomous, more likely themselves to become servants?"

When a leader shifts his mindset and serve first, empirical evidence exists to substantiate a win-win for the employees and leader. One, the goal achievement and success of the employees can be influenced. When a servant leader places the needs of his team first, their engagement grows and job performance increases, because they feel that they are supported by their leader. Two, the working environment can become increasingly more productive and perhaps even more creative. Because a servant leader is more forgiving and understanding, his employees not only learn from their mistakes but also will think more outside the box.

With all these good things, what could possibly go wrong? Quite simply, time becomes an issue. It takes a lot time to conduct quality one-on-one communications to figure out the abilities, needs, goals and potential of the individual staff. With listening, empathy and persuasion identified as some of the essential characteristics of a servant leader, one can easily lose track of time by inadvertently becoming the Counselor in Chief.

What can be done about this time crunch? Perhaps one can choose a pragmatic route. Since the top 10% is self-reliant, will spending just enough time so that they know that they are hipos be sufficient? Since the middle 80% is large in number and vary greatly in talent, motivation and the shapes and size of their “baggage,” perhaps serving this group on a FIFO basis would be optimal? And since the odds of the bottom 10% improving with additional support is rather slim, why bother serving them at all?

A better way to cope with this time constraint is to place the importance of quality over quantity. Rather than allocating time to serve as many as possible, one should focus on making a life-long impact on the ones he does serve regardless of their rank or responsibilities. To do so, a leader must embody the essence of servant leadership in and outside of office every single day. If he leads by example with humility, patience and tolerance, those around him may become servant leaders themselves as Greenleaf had hypothesized. Then this virtuous cycle could accelerate into a network effect and thus relieve this time limit.

A servant leader can help their staff to improve their job performance in a positively changed setting and increase their affinity to their organization. However, such transformation is possible only if the leader’s empathy toward others is genuine and his understanding words and actions work in concert. To remain true to the principles of servant leadership, I suggest that he constantly reminds himself of the person or event that influenced him to become a leader who serves.


댓글삭제
삭제한 댓글은 다시 복구할 수 없습니다.
그래도 삭제하시겠습니까?
댓글 0
댓글쓰기
계정을 선택하시면 로그인·계정인증을 통해
댓글을 남기실 수 있습니다.